Sunday 10 October 2010

Kingston Double Lens Reflex (Box Set Camera)









I found this camera along with the one above in a charity shop just outside Nottingham Town Centre. 
Although I know very little about 'Double lens Cameras', It only cost £2, although from what i can tell, the viewing lens is damaged. However, I think with a little imagination and some photosensitive paper (thats right, it takes photos onto a spool of photographic paper I think?), and a dark room, and a bunch of chemicals I have no idea  how to use, I'll be churning out photographs on this bad boy in no time!

Joking aside, it's a very beautiful camera in my opinion, expertly crafted in Hong Kong (!) but still very charming! 

A bit of background on:

"Double-lens cameras were around from about 1870, when someone realised that having a second viewing lens alongside the taking lens meant that one could focus without having to keep swapping a ground glass screen for the plate afterwards, reducing the time delay in actually taking the shot."

(wikibooks.org)


Interesting ay!




2 comments:

  1. heey yesterday I found one like this in his box with manual and everything . And so I was wondring how valuable are these camera's today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man,

    Sorry for my late reply, it's been pretty hectic recently and I completely missed your question! From what I know, (and that isn't much unfortunately!) no more than 15 - 20 pounds (depending on the model of course) The above is predominantly plastic, however the heavier reflex's can be picked up for anything between 60 - 150 pounds i reckon (I'm sure there are similar cameras that are far more expensive but this may give you a ball park?)

    It's all about the model and the person who is wanting to buy it. If they really want it, collectors are more likely to pay bigger money. Hope that is some help anyway buddy?

    ReplyDelete