Friday 26 March 2010

Hidden Qualities












( An experiment in plaster)
(Size, 2m)

Here we have my first experiment in plaster. As a reaction to my last piece, I have created what has turned into quite a sculptural installation. Although this was never my intention, it has bridged a gap in my thought process, and for that has been a very worthwhile exercise. 
Like the hidden quality of bone, a materially worthless specimen, when turned to ash becomes immensely valuable to a loved one during the morning process. To then be transformed into diamond, one of the most valuable materials known to man, and at the same time retain its emotional importance, the product becomes almost priceless.
This plaster specimen was created using a number of materials such as cloth, bandages and varying plaster types. I have highlighted the flowing quality of the draped cloth, and juxtaposed this against the harsher qualities plaster possesses. 

However, the problem with this piece is simple. It contradicts in a way the quality of the plaster itself. It instead implies these qualities. An example of this would be the flowing drapes. Plaster, being a viscous liquid like substance possesses the quality implied here, however the initial structural and therefore former of these elements was in fact the draped plaster. Now the plaster is chemically set, it too has a structural quality, and no longer relies on it's cloth foundation.

On a lighter note, it has been pointed out that it looks like a dress... Lady Gaga, interested?

2 comments:

  1. lol you found mine, so im returning the favour. Nice work sean i saw this the other day but didnt know it was yours at all. very nice. Oh and is that andrews in the corner of your photo? lol.

    The bones study looks really like this girls work at the AA if you can find it. She was looking at memories stored in your bones, so you can have surgical procedures to change your identity through the removal of certain growths. sorry if ive confused you:S x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nat! Thanks for the comment, very much appreciated! Your blog was recommended to me the other week, so I had a sneaky peak and I'm a fan! Haha Good stuff.

    The bone study sounds very interesting actually, and maybe has some ties to what I'm currently looking at, so I'll be sure to check it out. I'd love to treck down to the AA some time, have a look at how the pros do their thaaang! How do you know when they are critting?

    Oh and yes, Andrews does appear to be my lovely profile pic assistant in the background! How did I miss that one? x

    ReplyDelete