Thursday 15 April 2010

Sketch Model 3 - The Memorial Diamond Factory


(Wax with paper former)
(Scale 1:100)

For my next model, I decided to play with the levels in my design. I decided to move the chapel of rest beneath street level into a more intimate environment. I believe with the correct lighting creating a warm alabaster glow, I can create an ideal environment for loved ones to say their last goodbyes in a none depressing environment. I want to achieve a spiritual, omnipotent atmosphere, one where a life can be celebrated, and the mourning process is triggered on a high note. I believe the key to this is light.

Another idea I was playing with was the connection to nature and the outdoors. I have included a courtyard and sun porch, an area the family of the deceased can relax before and after the ceremony. I have included light tunnels to control the lighting above entrances and exits of this area to give it a spiritual feel.

Another feature I have considered is that of the functional features, including hearst entrance ergonomically designed to that of the hearst's turning circle. The coffin can then be easily removed away from the street in a spiritual, sheltered environment, before being placed to rest inside the building. 

I have been careful to keep the facade to the street similar, with the hope I can also give something back to the street with my design in later models. My current design is a section through time of the existing buildings constructed in different time periods. The hurst entrance will cut into the facade of the street, therefore the architecture immerses you into a private environment, away from the public eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment