Thursday 15 April 2010

Sketch Model 2 - The Memorial Diamond Factory













(Wax  with paper former)
(Scale 1:100)

After reflecting on my initial model, I reshuffled the layout in order to communicate a few key concepts and ideas. As my concept of memorial signifies the stimulation of memory, the mind need not so much be controlled, but nurtured through influence.


I begun to think about aspects such as my clients recent histories, and what trauma's they may have gone through after the passing of a loved one. Aspects may include prolonged time spent in hospital whilst visiting ill relatives. One of the main features of a hospital is it's corridors, and the harsh, clinical nature of the artificial lights. I wanted to move away from these memory triggers, by not including them in my design.

I started to think about using rooms in series graced with natural light, taking advantage of its healing capabilities. I also considered the materials I wanted to use, and how to represent these in a model. I have looked into the use of alabaster as a prominant material in both the chapel of rest, and the communal areas leading towards the crematorium. I used wax to illustrate the lighting qualities, as it portrays a more delicate, spiritual aesthetic, as well as giving the model a solid presence. A lasting presence.


No comments:

Post a Comment