Thursday 30 September 2010

The Poetics Of Space



By Gaston Bachelard

Probably the most complex book I have ever read to date. Some themes expressed appear at first glance to be somewhat bizarre, and I found myself reading some pages in excess of 2/ 3 times over. Chapters 4, 5 and 7 (Nests, Shells and Miniature) were especially complex, and I struggled in some cases to identify a coherent path between sentences! However, I understand the book is very sort after, and commended across the architectural community. So, for this reason, I am willing to accept my level of understanding must not yet be to the standard required to appreciate the complexities of this book.

I did however manage to follow, and draw on some of the themes referred to in this book, some of which I have been discussing/ debating recently with my colleagues. The idea of forming space in daydreams through drawing on memories, consciously and sometimes unconsciously in the form of dreams was fascinating, and I aim to look into this idea further.

Favourite quote/ passage

“Millers, who are wind thieves, make good flour from storms”  (pg 64)


"At times, the sound of a vocable, or the force of a letter, reveals and defines the real thought attached to a word. Like the a in vast. Starts with a sigh and ends in eternity" (pg 198)

No comments:

Post a Comment